A list of these organisations is in Schedules 2 and 3 of the Scottish Public Services Ombudsman Act 2002.
The list may change as new organisations are created and old ones close. If you're not sure about an organisation please call us on our Freephone helpline 0800 377 7330 to discuss this.
Even when an organisation is named in our Act, we may be able to look at only some of the work that they do. Again, you can find out more by calling us.
The main areas about which we can take complaints include:
- The Scottish Parliament and Scottish Government/Administration
(but not the decisions or actions of Members of the Scottish Parliament)
- The NHS in Scotland
- Local Government (but not the decisions and actions of Councillors)
- Housing (but not private landlords)
- Colleges and universities
- Scottish Prison Service (Scottish prisons and YOIs)
- Most water and sewerage providers
- Most other Scottish public organisations with responsibility for devolved Scottish matters (often called quangos)
- Cross-border public authorities (usually a UK authority with a Scottish base, but only where their actions are about devolved Scottish matters)
- Scottish Tribunals (but only the administrative actions of staff, not the outcome of a tribunal decision)