- Report number:200603044 200700888
- Date:April 2009
- Body:Forth Valley NHS Board and a Medical Practice, Forth Valley NHS Board
- Keywords:Psychiatry; discharge; care and treatment 22 April 2009 200603044 200700888
The complainant (Mrs C) raised a number of concerns about the psychiatric care and treatment of her late husband (Mr C) who suffered from bi-polar affective disorder.
Specific complaints and conclusions
The complaints which have been investigated are that:
- (a) Mr C's GP Practice failed to properly monitor his lithium levels (not upheld);
- (b) Forth Valley NHS Board (the Board) inappropriately discharged Mr C from psychiatric care (upheld);
- (c) the Board failed to provide Mr C with appropriate psychiatric care from October 2005 to October 2006 (not upheld); and
- (d) the Board failed to take Mrs C's input on Mr C's psychiatric condition and requirements (not upheld).
Redress and recommendations
The Ombudsman recommends that the Board:
- (i) develop more effective and practical policies for dealing with a breakdown in doctor-patient relationships and for referring patients between services; and
- (ii) apologise to Mrs C for discharging Mr C without ensuring that necessary support mechanisms were in place.
The Board have accepted the recommendations and will act on them accordingly.
The Ombudsman has no recommendations in respect of Mr C's GP Practice.
Updated: May 20, 2013