Scottish Public Services Ombudsman

Call us on 0800 377 7330

We are always happy to give advice on individual complaints. Our range of fact sheets give advice about  common topics of complaint that members of the public ask us about. The fact sheets outline what we can and cannot do in particular areas of complaint and provide details of other organisations that might be able to offer help or support.

A - Z

Please click on the subject links below to open an advice leaflet.


Antisocial behaviour and neighbour problems (PDF 94KB)



Care inspectorate (PDF 92KB)
Council tax banding (PDF95KB)
Crown Office & Procurator Fiscal Service (PDF 106KB)
Commissions, Commissioners and other regulatory authorities (PDF 99KB)



Further education and higher education (colleges and universities) (PDF 456KB)



Housing for you in Scotland (PDF 566KB)
Housing benefit and council tax benefit (PDF 98KB)



Information rights (PDF 549KB)



MP and MSP Guide (PDF 1.2MB)



NHS - Continuing care (PDF 108KB)
NHS - Scotland (PDF 104KB)
NHS - Removal from a GP or dentist's register (PDF 106KB)



Planning (applicant) complaints (PDF 106KB)
Planning (objector) complaints (PDF 105KB)
Prison complaints - complained? (PDF 118KB)
Prison complaints - what we do with your complaint (PDF 468KB)



Registered Social Landlord (RSL) tenant complaints (PDF 88KB)



Scottish Welfare Fund (advice for general public) (PDF 97KB)
Scottish Welfare Fund (advice for advisers and advocates) (PDF 1.3MB)
Social Work (PDF 97KB)


Contact us

You can call us for advice on any of these, or other topics. To speak to a member of staff please contact us on our freephone adviceline 0800 377 7330.

We hope you find the leaflets helpful and if you think you would find it helpful to have a leaflet on a topic not already included, please let us know.

Updated: July 29, 2014