The complainant (Mr C) complained about the Dental Practice (the Practice) he was registered with. In February 2009 Mr C complained that they failed to provide agreed treatment and were unprofessional in their behaviour toward him and in the service they provided.
Specific complaints and conclusions
The complaints which have been investigated are that:
- (a) Mr C was not appropriately treated by the Practice (upheld); and
- (b) the Practice failed to follow the NHS complaints procedure for Family Health Services (upheld).
Redress and recommendations
The Ombudsman recommends that the Practice:
- (i) urgently implement policies to ensure that clinical information is appropriately recorded and protected, and policies and procedures are in place to safeguard all clinical information generated;
- (ii) take steps to ensure that all staff are aware of these policies and implement them in their working practice;
- (iii) take steps to identify all missing clinical information and to try to retrieve this;
- (iv) apologise to Mr C for the failures identified in this report;
- (v) urgently establishes a complaints procedure in line with the standards set out by the General Dental Council and the NHS complaints procedure; and
- (vi) apologise to Mr C for the poor handling of his complaint.