The Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002 requires Scottish public authorities to produce and maintain a publication scheme. Authorities are under a legal obligation to:
- publish the classes of information that they make routinely available
- tell the public how to access the information and what it might cost.
Classes of information that we publish
The purpose of this Guide to Information is to:
- allow the public to see what information is and is not available in relation to each class
- state what charges may be applied
- explain how to find the information easily
- provide contact details for enquiries and to get help with accessing the information
- explain how to request information we hold that has not been published
Availability and formats
The information we make available through the publication scheme is, wherever possible, available on our website. We offer alternative arrangements for people who do not want to, or cannot, access the information online. For example, you can ask to inspect it at our premises, or we can usually arrange to send a paper copy of information to you.
We will publish information we hold that falls within the classes of information listed in the model publication scheme. If a document contains information that is exempt under Scotland’s freedom of information laws (for example sensitive personal information or a trade secret), we will remove or redact the information before publication and explain why.
Copyright and re-use of information
Where we hold the copyright in our published information, the information may be copied or reproduced without formal permission, provided that:
- it is copied or reproduced accurately
- it is not used in a misleading context, and
- the source of the material is identified
Where we do not hold the copyright in information we publish, we will make this clear.
All the information on this website is available through the Open Government Licence. This gives you the right to re-use the information, subject to important conditions.
If you want to re-use information you will find the following helpful:
The SPSO does not currently charge for processing information requests, including environmental information.
Information not in our publication scheme
We will also advise you how to ask for information that we do not publish or how to complain if you are dissatisfied with any aspect of this publication scheme. There is also information available if you wish to make a request for information not contained in the publication scheme.