Below you can download information leaflets about making complaints and our role, remit and process, as well as fact sheets on particular types of complaints, and materials for complaint handling staff in public service organisations.
- How to complain about a public service (PDF)
This leaflet tells you about how to complain about a public service and has an example of what to put in a complaint letter if you want to complain in writing.
How to complain to the SPSO (PDF)
This leaflet tells you about SPSO and how to make a complaint to us.
Your complaint at the SPSO (PDF)
This leaflet tells you about our process and how we handle complaints.
Complaints Form (PDF)
Our complaints form includes a consent form for people making a complaint on behalf of others. It can be printed, completed and sent to us.
If you wish to fill this form in electronically, please use our online complaints form.
Unacceptable actions policy (PDF)
This document explains how we handle unacceptable behaviour by complainants.
You can also view the leaflet information as HTML.
Customer Service Standards (PDF)
We are committed to offering you a high-quality service. Our Customer Service Standards describe how you can expect us to act.
Your complaint, our decision leaflet (PDF)
This leaflet gives information about what to do if you wish to request a review of a decision made by us.
We are always happy to give advice on individual complaints. Our range of fact sheets give advice about common topics of complaint that members of the public ask us about. The fact sheets outline what we can and cannot do in particular areas of complaint and provide details of other organisations that might be able to offer help or support.
We can give you any of our leaflets in other languages and formats (such as large print, audio, Braille, or a different file format for use with assistive technology) if you ask.
- Antisocial behaviour and neighbour problems (PDF)
- Council tax banding (PDF)
- Crown Office & Procurator Fiscal Service (PDF)
- Commissions, Commissioners and other regulatory authorities (PDF)
- Further education and higher education (colleges and universities) (PDF)
- Information rights (PDF)
- Guide for MSPs, MPs and Parliamentary staff (PDF)
- NHS - Scotland (PDF)
- NHS - Removal from a GP or dentist's register (PDF)
- Planning (applicant) complaints (PDF)
- Planning (objector) complaints (PDF)
- Prisoner information leaflet 1: How you can complain (PDF)
- Prisoner information leaflet 2: What we do when we get your complaint (PDF)
- Prison complaints form (PDF)
- Registered Social Landlord (RSL) tenant complaints (PDF)
- Social Work: How to complain about a social work service (PDF)
- SPSO Guidance on Apology (PDF)
When we investigate a complaint and find a problem that has not been solved, we often recommend that the organisation offer an apology. This guidance note sets out what an apology is and what you need to do for an apology to be meaningful.
SPSO Redress Policy (PDF)
This leaflet sets out the SPSO approach to resolving a complaint or request through recommendations for redress.