- Case ref:201800699
- Date:February 2019
- Body:Sanctuary (Scotland) Housing Association Ltd
- Sector(s):Housing Associations
- Subject:repairs and maintenance
- Outcome:Upheld, recommendations
Ms C complained that the association took an unreasonable amount of time to fix problems she reported about her windows. After Ms C reported an issue, the association attended a number of times, with the contractor, over the next 11 months.
We found that there was poor communication with Ms C about what progress was being made to remedy problems with the windows. Ms C had to chase up responses and at the point of reaching a decision on her complaint, there was still disagreement about whether the windows had been fixed properly. Therefore, we upheld Ms C's complaint.
What we asked the organisation to do in this case:
- Apologise to Ms C for taking an unreasonable amount of time to remedy problems she reported with her windows. The apology should meet the standards set out in the SPSO guidelines on apology available at www.spso.org.uk/leaflets-and-guidance.
- Arrange for a suitably qualified person (independent of the contractor) to attend to assess the windows and for any remedial action required to be promptly taken.